Archive for October 2010

Birth Injury Teenager Compensation Approved

A teenager, whose birth was allegedly mismanaged resulting in oxygen starvation and brain injuries, has had her multi-million pounds compensation package approved in court.

Georgia Eloise Hunt of Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire was born at the city’s hospital in 1992 suffering from cerebral palsy and epilepsy caused – it was claimed by her parents – by the delay of her birth due to insufficient monitoring.

Mrs Justice Swift at the High Court heard how Georgia Eloise, who is now eighteen years of age, was allegedly starved of oxygen during her delivery and suffered “hypoxic insult” which has now left her with mobility problems and requiring 24 hour care.

In a case brought through Georgia Eloise’s father, Grahame Hunt, it was claimed that if the birth had been properly monitored, the injuries to her brain could have been avoided or contained so that Georgia Eloise could have led a more normal life.

The settlement package, which consists of a 1.4 million pounds lump sum payment and annual index-linked payments of 110,000 pounds was agreed by the NHS trust without admission of liability.

Read More

Addenbrooke’s to Pay 2 Million Pounds for Brain Injury

The world-famous Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridgeshire has settled a medical negligence compensation claim worth approximately 2 million pounds after a patient in its care suffered traumatic brain injury.

Neal Allen, 42, had a known medical history of hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia – a condition which results in abnormal blood vessel development – and carried a “medic alert card” at all times. Despite his condition, he led a full and active life until he was admitted to the hospital in May 2003.

On his admission to Addenbrookes, Neal had given the card to a paramedic, who subsequently wrote on the patient’s notes in large capital letters that he was predisposed to cerebral abscesses. However, and despite the warning of this potential complication, the medical staff at Addenbrookes diagnosed Neal as suffering from a stroke and discharged him from hospital one week later.

Neal’s condition deteriorated due to undetected brain abscesses, and he was re-admitted two days later – by which time he was very poorly, and a number of operations were subsequently required to remove the growths.

Neal was left severely brain damaged as a result of the delay in diagnosis and treatment of the brain abscesses, and now experiences cognitive and decision making difficulties as well as requiring care for 15 hours a day. Neal has been assessed as not safe to live alone and no longer capable of employment.

Addenbrookes at first denied the allegations of medical negligence, and then admitted partial responsibility. However, immediately before a scheduled High Court trial was about to commence, they admitted 100% liability and agreed the compensation package.

The compensation package is comprised of an immediate payment of 1.03 million pounds, followed by annual payments starting at 35,000 pounds per year and rising to a ceiling of 44,477 pounds per annum for the rest of Neal’s life.

Read More

Blood Poisoning Baby Compensated with 5,000 Pounds

The parents of a new-born baby daughter, infected with deadly bacteria during birth, have received compensation after Epsom Hospital admitted negligence in her care.

The mother, Alexandra Carter of Banstead, Surrey, was known to be a carrier of group B streptococcus bacteria, yet doctors failed to prescribe her with the appropriate antibiotics to prevent the transmission of the infection to her daughter, Imogen, during birth.

Imogen, who is now 23 months, was initially treated for jaundice after her birth and then transferred to a special care baby unit at the hospital. She was put through a series of invasive procedures, such as a lumbar puncture to check her spinal fluid, had to receive intravenous doses of antibiotics and be put in a UV cot to treat the jaundice.

Both Alexandra and Imogen were discharged after a week of treatment, but within five weeks Imogen was back in hospital again with blood poisoning due to the group B streptococcus infection. Fortunately, she suffered none of the regular symptoms associated with the infection – brain damage or loss of hearing – and is now in good health.

Suing the Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust through her parents, Epsom Crown Court approved the compensation settlement of 5,000 pounds for Imogen, plus 1,000 pounds in out-of-pocket expenses for her parents. Imogen’s compensation will remain in court until she is eighteen.

Read More

Soccer Schoolboy 1.7 Million Pounds Compensation Approved

A young teenager, who suffered brain damage while playing football on a school playing field, was been awarded 1,7 million pounds in compensation for his injuries.

Rees Ashwell-Ross was just seven years of age in December 2004, when he was injured in a clash of heads during an after school game of football at St. Peter-at-Gowts Primary School in Lincoln. At home that evening, he started vomiting and was getting severe headaches.

His mother, Lisa, called the National Health Service out-of-hours service, but Rees was only hospitalised the following morning after suffering a massive seizure which left him with permanent brain injuries.

In the claim against West Lincolnshire Primary Care Trust, the High Court in London heard how Rees’ devastating injuries could have been avoided had the out-of-hours service acted appropriately and sent a doctor to examine Rees on the night of the incident.

Instead, Rees was diagnosed with an extradural haematoma along with a ruptured meningeal artery which required emergency surgery to save his life. Rees now experiences mobility difficulties, struggles to communicate and faces the rest of his life being transported by wheelchair.

The West Lincolnshire Primary Care Trust admitted liability after Rees sued through his mother and the sum of 1.7 million in compensation for medical negligence was agreed.

Wishing Rees and his family good luck for the future when approving the settlement, Judge Foster commented “I’m very pleased to be able to approve this settlement, which seems to me soundly based and generally in Rees’s best interests”.

Read More

Operation Debris Leads to 350,000 Pounds Compensation

A 36-year-old man has received 350,000 pounds in compensation after part of a latex surgical glove was left in his throat following hospital surgery.

Wayne Williams, from Tooting, London, was admitted to St. Georges Hospital in South West London for heart surgery in June 2006, during which a tracheotomy was performed to enable him to breathe.

Following the surgery, Wayne experienced difficulties breathing and was referred back to the hospital for throat surgery, during which surgeons discovered a small piece of latex left behind in his trachea.

The latex debris was admitted to not only have been the cause of Wayne’s breathlessness, but had also permanently scarred his vocal chords.

St. George’s NHS Healthcare Trust admitted liability for medical negligence and the compensation settlement of 350,000 was agreed.

Read More