Woman Makes Claim for the Misdiagnosis of Cancer due to GP Negligence

A woman who was told she needed to see a psychiatrist to resolve her anxiety issues has made a claim for the misdiagnosis of cancer due to GP negligence.

In September 2013, Kim Major (48) from Ewell in Surrey tried to make an appointment to see her GP as she was suffering from recurring headaches, coughing, chest pain and neck pain. Instead she was given an appointment to see the Practice Nurse at Fitznells Manor Surgery, who told Kim that she likely had a virus.

Kim´s symptoms persisted and, in early 2014, she was advised by her optician to go back to GP for a full health check as her eyesight was deteriorating. Kim made an appointment, but no investigations were conducted, after which she developed abdominal pain – for which she attended her GP again in March when she was told to seek help for her anxiety issues.

Following a further visit to her GP in June, Kim underwent a colonoscopy procedure which revealed nothing. A written referral to Kim´s GP from her optician due to Kim´s increased frequency of dizzy spells failed to prompt an investigation into her symptoms and it was only when Kim was rushed to hospital in September with chest pains that an x-ray was taken.

The x-ray revealed that there was a substantial mass on her right lung, and Kim was referred to a respiratory specialist – who told her that she was suffering from lung cancer. Doctors have subsequently found two tumours on Kim´s brain and two more on Kim´s liver, and she is undergoing intense chemotherapy treatment not knowing how long she may have to live.

After seeking legal advice, Kim made a claim for the misdiagnosis of cancer due to GP negligence. In her claim it is alleged that if her concerns had been taken seriously by her GP, the lung cancer could have been detected and treated at an earlier stage and would not have spread to her brain and liver.

After news of the claim for the misdiagnosis of cancer due to GP negligence became public, Kim said “My family and I are completely traumatized and I feel wholly let down by the NHS. I visited my GP on so many occasions complaining of various symptoms but I was told so many different things and it took them collectively over a year to diagnose my condition.”

A spokesman for Fitznells Manor Surgery said: “The surgery was saddened to hear of this case and our thoughts go to the family. Due to patient confidentiality, we are unable to comment further.” An NHS England Surrey and Sussex spokesperson said that it would be inappropriate to comment due to ongoing legal proceedings.