Undisclosed Settlement of Compensation for Burns due to a Lack of Care

A family has received an undisclosed settlement of compensation for burns due to a lack of care after their elderly mother was injured in a bathroom accident.

On 15th February 2012, ninety-year-old Jessie King was visited at her Rotherham home by two carers who came around daily to help Jessie out of bed and to take her to the bathroom for a shower. On this particular day, Jessie fell while preparing for her shower and landed with her back against a radiator.

The two carers contacted a home care services provider – Rothercare – to assist them after Jessie´s fall, but failed to consider that the radiator against which Jessie was leaning was still on. When specialists from Rothercare arrived, Jessie was helped to her feet. She finished her shower while the two carers prepared her breakfast and then left.

It was not until later that day that Jessie´s injury was discovered. Jessie was visited by her daughter Denise and a District Nurse, who arranged for an ambulance to take Jessie to the Northern General Hospital. At the hospital, Jessie was referred to the burns unit, where she had to undergo skin grafts as the burns on her back were so severe.

As Jessie suffers from dementia, a claim for compensation for burns due to a lack of care was made by another of her daughters – Jean – on her behalf. The claim was made against Nestor Primecare Services Ltd trading as Saga Home Care, as it was the company that employed the two carers who had failed to consider that Jessie had fallen against the radiator in the bathroom.

Nestor Primecare Services Ltd denied liability for Jessie´s injuries but, after pressure from Jean´s solicitors, the company agreed to an out-of-court settlement of compensation for burns due to a lack of care. Sadly Jessie passed away in May 2013.

Speaking after the settlement of compensation for burns due to a lack of care, another of Jessie´s daughters said: “The injuries mum suffered were absolutely horrendous and we can’t believe that her carers failed to notice she was lying against a hot radiator and that she had suffered severe burns. We are absolutely shocked that Nestor Primecare Services Ltd has continued to deny liability for the injuries and that they have never apologised for what happened.”